Friday, June 27, 2008

Lucha VaVoom

Last Night I went to see Lucha VaVoom. For those of you unfamiliar, its Mexican Luchador, masked wrestling. Think Nacho Libre - the Jack Black film. It was pretty amazing. The show was part strip tease / burlesque, part wrestling. The announcers left a little something to be desired and distracted from the fighting. But at least they had enough sense not to talk when the girls / dancers came out....Her are a few highlights from the event:



A quick glance at the program before it all began, and I decided that I wanted "Shamu Jr." to win. Seeing as how this was all new to me, and they all looked the same in their funny outfits, I had to pick solely by the name. Having spent my summers in San Diego as a kid, I have a special place in my heart for Sea World and Shamu. Little did I know, he was more of the "villain" wrestler, and by no means a crowd favorite. Shamu Jr. (who was a little person by the way), came out with two thug looking beasts. They were squaring off against Los Crazy Chicken (two spastic chicken characters), and Lil Chicken (another little person). The two teams began their carnage with Shamu Jr and friends quickly taking the early lead. But in true Luchador wrestling fashion, its usually the team getting pummeled early on, that comes out the victor with a quick surprise burst of energy and sudden attack to end the match. Oh well Shamu Jr. You will live to fight another day. In the meantime, might I suggest you work on your over the back toss, head butt move...

- Chris

No comments: